Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Step by Step--OH Baby! NKOTB!

Isn't half of the challenge of life just taking the first step. If you spend all of your life anticipating, waiting for the right time to be who you are supposed to be, doesn't your life pass you by? In my mind, I feel that someday I could be a great person. One who has time for everyone. One who helps those in need. This has always been a someday thing. I want to make big changes commit my entire being. But, with a full time job and children, I feel my family has been the first place to start and perfect.

However, today at mass, some random stranger called me by my first name. I turned around and asked if he was a cop :) ( just kidding). Anyhoo, he had known me due to my business. He was asking for help getting a new family homeless shelter off the ground. I have always felt strong compassion for those who do not have homes. I have always wanted to help. But I just didn't feel like it was my time.Ugh... Saying that reminds me of Jesus  when Mary told him at the Wedding at Canna to make water in to wine.... "its not my time woman".  I think you get my drift though....  But really, to be actually called by name by a stranger, after mass, seemed like I couldn't be hit over the head with a larger mallet to get my attention. So, because that gentleman took the first step. I will too. I have already made a few calls to financially secure individuals who can more than likely help with funding. I plan to commit time and as much money as I can.

Although, this might seem small to others, I feel that this is the work of the holy spirit. Nudging us to do for others. To be better people. I truly deep down believe that even the smallest actions can be inspired in part by the holy spirit. Ultimately by God.  No doubt.

My son's actions this morning fell short of being inspired. That goose. He wanted to go to school, but he didn't want to get dress, eat, brush his hair etc. I laid out clothes for the little little to put on. Mad because he didn't like it. I gave him a break and gave him another choice. He came into my room "changed" wearing his spider man pj top and the shorts he wore yesterday to school. He has been refusing to eat breakfast. Don't bad mom's send their kids to school without eats? I was not going to send him, maybe he was getting sick. OR MAYBE HE WAS ACTING LIKE A 5 YEAR OLD! Yes, that was it. No the best way to start the day. But, we are over it now. Hopefully a better week next week.

Happy Birthday to one Great Mother. Happy Birthday Mother Mary! Bet Jesus never acted that way :)

2 comments:

Sarah Harkins said...

This is wonderful! It's so great you are getting involved with a ministry. The way you described it, it reminds me of the song, "Here I Am Lord"..."is it I Lord? I have heard you calling in the night. That is very cool that you were called by name. I think it is the hardest thing to commit to a ministry outside of the home when one is already a wife and mother, so I am happy to hear you found something that you can do. Hope it all works out!

Just ME said...

Sarah,

I did have that song playing in my head after it happened. However, I thought I would sound a bit ...i dont know... like I am so cool that God called me. But, I really did feel exactly that way. Thank you for the comment!