Friday, April 29, 2011

Smoking is a lot like Starbucks

Ok. Growing up, both of my parents were smokers. Now my mom finally quit and my Dad still hides/lies about still smoking. I never really had the need or urge to start smoking. However, because my parents both smoked, I really really tried to give it a go. Why not? They love it. If I could enjoy something as much as that it would be great right? So I can remember on a few occasions stealing a few cigarettes from good ole' mums purse and holding on to those bad boys until the time was right. I can remember one summer day when home alone giving the smoking a whirl. One deep breath, not a chance of inhaling that death smoke and I was done. I said heck to the naw. This stinks. IT IS NOT FUN AT ALL. When I turned 18, one of the privileges is buying cigarettes, which I did. Again, never smoked a one. It was too much work to learn to like smoking. To this day I still don't understand it at all. I am glad Iam still mystified. I guess on the other hand, people cannot understand why I love me some brownies and marshmallow cream. But, by the way I look, they can tell I love it!

Anyhoo, I kinda feel the same way about Starbucks. ALL of the cool kids I know go there often. No problemo to drop a cool five spot on a very tiny drink. I've tried. The cost I justify as " I deserve this"  After many, many, many failed attempts, I cannot find a mocha, chocka non- fat, caramel machiatio, shaken, 2 shots with frap chips that I love. That I just love and would spend  1 million on because it is so good. No such luck. How do yoiy know where to start, what you will love? I even tried the IPhone Starbucks app to see if it would work. It did but the dude at the counter laughed at me.Said I might like this "blah blah machino" better. So I got that. Good enough. I kept the cup in my car so I could look at the sticker again to know how to order. I have some  meetings here at the bucket of stars and I would love to know what I could order that would justify my kids not getting extra money in their college fund. Btw, decaf all the way.

Still no name for this beautiful baby that I am baking right now. My oldest son said " Well you can't call him baby for too long, maybe baby, then little boy, boy, teenager, adult, old man and old old man"  So at least we have choices!

Have a blessed weekend!

3 comments:

Fit Fun Family said...

you should try the white chocolate mocha. It's very very good but don't hate me when you love it and are going every day. Do you like coffee in general? I used to hate it but now I love me some decaf with my hubby on the weekends. I used to ONLY like starbucks spensive drinks but even now i can go there and get a coffee and doctor it up with splenda and cream. Yum. And big boy (i typed his name and then remembered you are 10 shades of secret on here) baby names are too cute. :)

Mama Bear, JD said...

I get really annoyed when I make the mistake of reading financial or diet advice in the parenting magazines that go like this "Replace your daily drink run with something from home and save one billion dollars/calories a year!" So now I feel better knowing that I'm not the only person out there who doesn't "get it." Although I am guilty sometimes of whipping in the drive through for a small (tall, why can't they just say small?) coffee if the babies need a little extra sleep on the way to pick up the big kids. I also mistakenly spent nearly $10 on 4 cookies as a "Daddy is out of town surprise" and now I get lots of requests for "Mommy, you need get coffee?"
I'm a big fan of letting siblings name the baby, but it worked out normal for us, nothing crazy.

Queen B said...

I'm missing your musings! Hope all is well :)